Bears Tested!

The HK Bear's have completed their Pre Season Strength & Conditioning Programme with final testing taking place on Sunday under the watchful eye of trainers Aaron Davey and Hayden Yates at Shape Shifters Gym Levin.

The 12 week programme has encompassed everything from weights and cardio through to Jiu Jitsu, self defence, and strongman training and has ensured that the lads will enter the season in the condition required to withstand the demanding schedule ahead. The boys will receive a comprehensive review of their progress through the programme highlighting the gains made with regard to Strength and Conditioning and also other markers such as weight and skin folds. The benefits of the programme have been huge and stretch far beyond the physical with the lads building their morale and culture throughout the course of the Winter through many of the activities and challenges placed before us.

HK Cricket strongly recommend Shape Shifters gym not only to those individuals looking to further their health and fitness but also to sports teams who are after a structured programme that gets results and is run by people in the know. We thank Aaron and Hayden for their efforts and hope to continue working with them long into the future.

And now? The lads are ready to put themselves to the test on the park! 💪🏏🏃‍♂️🏋️‍♂️ #hkpride #strongertogether


The HMC Horowhenua Kapiti Senior Men’s side preparation for the season took its next step last Tuesday when the side headed off to Melbourne. The main focus for the tour was team building, developing culture and ethos while putting in some hard work on and off the field.

After a day of travelling on Tuesday, the squad went to work on Wednesday morning with half the guys in the pool and the other half in the gym. After a good sweat up, the squad joined up to put their heads together to identify some key focus areas for the season. Some good positive discussion was had amongst the group and from there, a trip to the Escape Room to push the boys out of their comfort zones awaited. The squad were split into groups of four and locked in a cave where the Bears had to find clues in the Escape Room to solve their mystery and escape. Huge thanks to Escape Hunt in Melbourne for giving the lads a great experience where working together and teamwork was critical to escaping! On Wednesday evening, the squad headed to the Citipower Centre in St Kilda for a training session. The new home of Victoria Cricket had some outstanding facilities, including a speed gun in each lane.

Thursday saw the squad head to the iconic Melbourne Cricket Ground for a tour of both the MCG and the National Sports Museum. Despite being the day before an AFL semi-final where it would house 100,000 spectators, our guys got a full tour of the facilities and embraced the history of the ‘G as well as Australian sport in the Museum. From there, the squad departed for Saltwater Reserve and Point Cook Cricket Club where the oval was fully synthetic and definitely a different experience to play and train on. This was also the venue for Friday’s training as well as Saturday’s game.

Saturday was game day and our guys prepared well and were feeling fresh coming up against Point Cook Cricket Club 1st XI. New skipper Andre Halbert was excited about leading the Senior Men’s team out for the first time. We had the opportunity to bowl first and put their batsman under pressure, however a solid opening partnership from Point Cook Cricket Club meant they were on the front foot. Our bowlers fought back well through Conor Beleski who was very tidy despite the unfriendly spin conditions, along with Liam Pinfold and Adam Simonsen in their second spells. Wicket keeper Jamie Pinfold was very tidy behind the stumps. Point Cook Cricket Club were restricted to 188 of 50 overs. A fast start by Matthew Good (57) and Adam Simonsen meant the Bears were able to be conservative in the middle overs through Halbert and Chad Law, before Point Cook Cricket Club brought on their spinners and tightened the run rate. The loss of a few quick wickets bought Ryan McCone to the crease who started his innings finding gaps in the field before accelerating and finishing on 52*. The Bears picked up the win but more importantly took a lot of learnings out of the game and have gone away with some work ons.

The HMC Horowhenua Kapiti Senior Men’s side would like to thank Dave, John and the HKCA Board for their support in making the dream of touring a reality. The tour was hugely beneficial, and we cannot thank our cricket community enough for their support!

HKCA vs Wairarapa - Furlong Cup, Round 1

HMC HKCA Bears v Wairarapa - Furlong Cup

Congratulations to five players who received their Senior Men’s Baggy before the team took the field this morning! All five have put in a huge amount of work in the pre-season and are pumped to get on the park!

#278 - Andre Halbert
#279 - Carter Andrews 
#298 - Zack Benton
#299 - Chad Law
#300 - Keegan Maclachlan

The HMC HK Bears made the trek over the Pahiatua track to take on a youthful but talented Wairarapa Bush side on their home ground at the picturesque Queen Elizabeth Park over the weekend. The line ups on paper suggested a relatively even match up with the result possibly to be decided by the team that was able to apply itself to the task for the longest. This proved so as Wairarapa grafted their way through to a 1st innings total of 281 all out off 96.2 overs. The HK bowlers toiled manfully on a good track reinforced by the fact that Wairarapa won the toss and backed themselves to make first use of it. Standouts for the Bears were spinner Keegan MacLachlan who recorded 4-54 off 16.2 and he was well supported by opening bowler Daemon Kennett’s 1-45 off 25 and Carter Andrews 2-47 off 20.

Having had Wairarapa 112-5 the men from HK would have fancied their chances of knocking them over for under 170 but the mid to lower order provided stubborn resistance and were rewarded as the score moved in excess of 250 with Jaco Vorster scoring a well made 79. Persistent drizzle at the tea break and deteriorating light saw the umpires pull stumps with an early start declared for day 2. 
Sunday dawned fine and play got under way at 10am with Wairarapa resuming play and looking to extend their innings for as long as possible. Horowhenua Kapiti were desperate to wrap up the innings but young Ethan Childs provided stubborn resistance batting extremely well for 47* however he ran out of partners as Wairarapa finished on 281.

In reply Horowhenua Kapiti were only able to muster 142 all out off 55.4 overs. Jay Watt bowled superbly to dismiss HK’s top 5 and leave them in big trouble at 89-5 a total that was largely thanks to opener Dion Sanson’s patient knock of 42 which ended due to a peach of a delivery which cut short a very promising innings. Player Coach Chad Law provided stubborn resistance and was well supported by Carter Andrews who showed a lot of heart to score 6 off 57 balls to contribute to a valuable partnership of 40. However Law’s departure for 30 followed soon after by Andrews meant the innings was soon wrapped up. Wairarapa elected to bat again and were 47/2 when both Captains shook hands. All was not lost for the men with Red Caps however as with The Furlong Cup bonus points system they finished round one in 4th place on the table.

The Bears now turn their attention to The Chapple Cup this Friday, Saturday, Sunday in a format sure to suit the HK men’s attacking batsmen. First up is a tough assignment against last year’s defending champions Hawkes Bay but Player Coach Chad Law has faith in his men to cause an upset and set people talking about his side who he says he has a lot of belief in. HK team is Chad Law (Player Coach), Matthew Good, Daemon Kennett, Zack Benton, Dion Sanson, Jamie Pinfold, Connor Beleski, Andre Halbert (Captain), Ryan Taylor, Liam Pinfold, Bailey Te Tomo, Carter Andrews, Keegan MacLachlan.

Chapple Cup

Bears take positives from challenging Chapple Cup.

The HK Bears have returned home from the 2018 edition of the Chapple Cup feeling positive about their progress despite 3 losses in a tightly contested competition at Nelson Park in Napier. First up was a tough assignment in the form of defending champions and eventual finalists Hawkes Bay who were keen to get their defence under way in comprehensive fashion. They were able to do just that with a commanding 9 wicket victory that announced themselves as title contenders once again. All was not lost for an HK side that were unable to put a large enough total on the board having been inserted on a new wicket. Regular wickets fell but it was Senior batsman Dion Sanson who stood tall to hold the innings together for HK, batting with class and control in a masterful display. Sanson looked on course for a century but fell desperately short bowled by a good Todd Watson delivery to leave him on 99. Liam Rukuwai was chief destroyer for Hawkes Bay recording 4-32 off his 10 and he received good support from Jayden Lennox’ 3-21 off 9 and Watson’s 2-37 off 8.4 with Ryan Taylor the only other HK batsman to get past the 20 mark (24). Any hopes the Bears had of creating a difficult run chase were dismissed relatively quickly despite an early breakthrough to Carter Andrews. Aggressive batting from Jake Smith (49*) and Matt Edmondson (108*) resulted in a dominant partnership that snuffed out HK’s hopes and sent the Bay through to the top 4 in emphatic fashion.

Day 2 dawned for HK with Marlborough lying in wait and anticipation high for an evenly fought match. The Bears went about setting a total having won the toss and got off to the best of starts courtesy of a 75 run partnership for the first wicket between Jamie Pinfold (22) and Dion Sanson (64) who picked up where he left off the previous day. Matt Good continued the good work with a very important contribution of 61 to show he is nearing his best form whilst Keegan MacLachlan (27) Andre Halbert (28) Chad Law (21) and Bailey Te Tomo (17) chipped in to ensure the HK total reached in excess of 250 as they finished on 278. In response Marlborough took a cautious approach that was well rewarded through the mid to late stages as they gradually hauled in HK’s total. Their innings was built around Prabodha Arthavidu’s brilliant knock of 107*, an innings that was timed to perfection from a man who looked in control. Young opener Tom Sutherland batted well for his 80 and Josh Poole (48) played a key hand to accelerate the innings and propel Marlborough to their total of 280 for the loss of 3 wickets with 3.2 overs remaining. HK were brave and willing in the field with their bowlers toiling hard but it was to no avail as they were ultimately unable to contain the Marlborough line up. Spinner Conor Beleski bowled superbly for 1- 44 off 10 and was the pick of the Bear’s attack.

Day 3 and The Bears were facing a test of character firstly to field a side with numerous injuries hampering them and secondly to put the disappointment of the previous days results behind them as they sought their first win of the tournament. In their way lay a Wanganui side who would prove to be a challenging prospect with a number of talented young players in their midst. Once again Andre Halbert won the toss and seized the initiative to bat first and put a total on the board. This time it was Jamie Pinfold who responded with a run a ball knock of 53 in a sign of growing maturity for HK’s talented wicketkeeper batsman. With Chad Law out of the side due to injury their was a reshuffle of the order and it was Te Tomo (18) Halbert (28) and the promoted Keegan MacLachlan (17) who kept things ticking over. Regular wickets hampered HK’s progress however and it was left to Carter Andrews to deliver on his immense potential with the bat to score an outstanding 55 batting at 8. Andrews knock ensured HK got past the 200 and finished up on 228, a potentially tricky total on what was effectively a day 3 pitch. Like HK, Wanganui had a number of men making contributions and despite regular wickets and scoreboard pressure they were able to build on a solid platform laid by opener Sam Sheriff (54) and their middle order to eventually overtake HK’s total with 3.5 overs to spare. Carter Andrews had a fine all round game recording 2-37 off 8 and was joined by Dion Sanson’s 2-47 off 10 and Conor Beleski’s 1-52 off 10 in the wicket taking column.

To conclude it was a challenging but highly enjoyable tournament for the Bears who headed home with some immense positives and key learnings that will stand them in good stead for their next assignment and beyond. Hawkes Bay lie in wait on Dec 1st and 2nd and the Bears know they will be better for the experience with Player Coach Chad Law excited about the direction his side is headed in knowing the potential of his players and the rapid progress his unit is making under the leadership of inspirational skipper Andre Halbert and his deputies Dion Sanson, Matt Good and Carter Andrews.


The Bears travelled to Napier last weekend to take on a Hawkes Bay side littered with CD experience. With majority of Bay players currently in the CD first class set up or CD talent identified pool the local HK players knew the weekend provided an opportunity to showcase our own skill against the best.

Rain all week had the covers left on for extended periods, which was to provide a freshening of the wicket. At the Toss both captains were keen for a bowl on the green seamer, Andre Halbert in his only fail of the weekend called wrong and the Bears were sent into bat.

The inform Dion Sanson (23) and talented Matthew Good (74) were the first two face the aggressive Bay bowlers. A 53-run opening partnership had HK off to a positive start which saw off the important first hour of play.

HK Player-Coach Chad Law (74) settled in to what became a marathon innings of 196 balls, another 50-run partnership with Good had HK 124-2. Chad batted with patience and control and found further support from K Fahey (38) A Halbert (35) and Ryan McCone to end an extremely positive opening day on 284-7.

Day Two had the Bears tail wanting to push for the elusive 300 which hasn’t been achieved by an HK side before. Unfortunately the Bay had other thoughts and came out hard closing our innings out at 291. This was the second highest first innings total by any HK side vs Hawkes Bay and something the HK lads were very proud of.

The lads knew that the total wouldn’t phase the Bay and the quality local batsman would be aiming to knock off the HK total to secure first innings, then push for an outright. History was certainly on the local’s side as HK had only won three times in their last 37 encounters.

Ryan McCone spearheaded the HK attack with Levin Old Boys stalwart Daemon Kennett however neither could break the opening partnership of the Bay who were travelling nicely at 82-0 after just 13 overs.

Fraser Bartholomew returning from injury got the wicket of the hard-hitting Wiggins for 57 then just a few overs later removed the Hawkes Bay skipper J Smith for 32. The Bay were now 105-2 and tracking well until a fine spell of bowling from Carter Andrews and Dion Sanson slowed the run rate and removed another two Bay batsman who were now starting to wobble at 131-4 now at lunch.

With two sessions to go HK were staring to believe, inspirational leader Chad Law was now planted on the side line with a knee injury, so it was time for the newly formed leadership group to assist the skipper getting this one over the line.

The decision to bring back McCone straight after lunch was another masterstroke from Halbert as the Stag quick removed fellow first class team mates Noema-Barnett and Schmullian in quick succession, which included a fantastic catch from young Liam Pinfold who was at full stretch flying through the air for the one-handed grab.

Dion Sanson provided good support to McCone in a bowling partnership that now had the Bay steering down falling short of the follow-on total at 142-7.

Liam Pinfold who waited patiently for his opportunity was thrown the ball in the 41st over and didn’t disappoint striking in his first and second over knocking over the Bay lower order.

Now 164-9 The HK Men continued applying pressure looking for the last wicket, young stag Christian Leopard who suffered a lower back injury bowling, showed courage and some big hitting ability to support Todd Watson see the Bay pass the follow-on target of 191.

Captain Halbert in another superb decision brought back Fraser Bartholomew who broke the final partnership in his frst over. The lads were ecstatic that they had just achieved first innings and held an 85-run lead.

With around 55 overs left in the day the HK lads new that the game was still not secured. A critical period of 11 overs to face before tea was going to be the biggest test for lads, with Law now out at hospital and Captain Halbert suffering from a hand injury the top order needed to step up.

Good and Sanson looked calm and focused as they headed into the final battle with the Bay bowlers. After a compact start Good missed one in the 6th over and was judged out LBW, the lead now over 100.

Kelsey Fahey joined Sanson at the crease and both showed grit and determination to get the HK lads to tea without the loss of anymore wickets. The captains and umpires spoke at Tea and the Bay Captain Jake Smith was keen to continue searching for something for his team. The lead now 125 with 44 overs left in the day.

Fahey and Sanson went into the final session with confidence and kept the score ticking over until Smith offered out his hand to Sanson in the 22nd over with HK 77-1.

Victory by 1st Innings to the Horowhenua-Kapiti Men over the Bay was now confirmed and the lads exploded into celebration. Player Coach Chad Law returned from hospital to witness this moment which meant a lot to him. The players involved now join a small group who have won against the bay, the previous victory was way back in 1998, 20 Years ago.

The HMC HK Senior Men now get a break until they meet Whanganui on the 13th and 14th of January at the refurbished Donnelly Park in Levin.

The Victory against the Bay has our HK Men currently 2nd equal one point behind leaders Manawatu after Round 2 of the Furlong Cup.

To check the scorecard or review some of the recorded action click on the below link.

Bears meet their match against Manawatu

The well performing Horowhenua Kapiti Bears came up against a strong Manawatu side on their home ground at Donnelly Park on the weekend.

The Manawatu side under the expert leadership of Player Coach David Meiring are a fast developing and quality outfit and showed why they are genuine contenders for a Hawke Cup Challenge with a comprehensive performance before rain scuttled their efforts. Having won the toss, HK Captain Andre Halbert inserted the Manawatu men on a deck that looked to offer something early for the quicks, with Halbert backing his men to make the most of this. Halbert’s decision looked to be justified as Manawatu were reduced to 25-3 with some good new ball bowling from Carter Andrews and Fraser Bartholomew backed up by the HK men in the field. However Manawatu began to provide staunch resistance with a partnership of 99 between Arana Noema Barnett (50) and Logan McHardy who went on to score a brilliant 93 and deserved a century for his efforts. Noema Barnett’s dismissal brought Floyd Na Nagara to the crease and any hopes the HK men had of making inroads into the mid to lower order were snuffed out by an outstanding knock of 87 from a young man with a huge future. As can so often be the difference in these representative 2 day matches, Manawatu’s middle and lower order scored heavily with Central Stag Bevan Small scoring 36 accompanied by fellow Stag Navin Patel’s 32* and Captain Tim Richards 27 before his dismissal signalled a declaration and a difficult period ahead for the HK men to try and negotiate. 354-8 declared was an imposing total and one that would take some serious batting to match.

An injury to influential opener Adam Simonsen forced a reshuffle in the order with wicketkeeper batsman Jamie Pinfold replacing him at the top of the order. Similar to Manawatu in what was a tough day for both sides’ top orders, HK were reduced to 21-3.  Player Coach Chad Law tried to provide resistance but was dismissed by a rampant Small (2-9 off 5 overs) for 22. Kelsey Fahey fought hard to get through to the close of play on 7* off 34 balls with Bailey Te Tomo with him on 2* and the pair holding the key to HK’s hopes of a day 2 fightback. Left arm quick Raymond Toole was threatening with 1-3 off 6 overs and Navin Patel bowled beautifully to claim 2-18 off 7 overs. HK limped into the dressing rooms at the close of play on 45-5 but remained confident they could rebound strongly on Day 2 with a lot of cricket left in the match whilst Manawatu would have been pushing hard for first innings and ultimately an outright that could have big implications on their quest for a Hawke Cup Challenge. The weather had the last say unfortunately as overnight rain carried through to Sunday and set in for the day ending any chance of the teams taking the field again. The skippers shook hands at 4pm and departed to prepare for the final Furlong Cup round in 3 weeks. The Manawatu men have a blockbuster match up against Hawkes Bay pitting the top 2 Zone 2 sides against each other whilst HK host Taranaki at home and will want to finish a successful season in the best possible fashion.

Short Scorecard- Manawatu 354-8 declared off 84.5 overs- L McHardy 93, F Na Nagara 87, B Small 36, T Richards 32, N Patel 27*, C Andrews 3-68 off 18.5, F Bartholomew 1-50 off 16, K Fahey 2-75 off 12, M Good 1-55 off 15.

Horowhenua Kapiti 45-5 off 24 overs- C Law 22, N Patel 2-18 off 7, B Small 2-9 off 5, R Toole 1-3 off 6.

Bears vs HK.jpg