HKCA's Senior Men's 2017/18 Hawke Cup Campaign Match Reports

Chapple Cup 2017/18

The Senior team was competitive in every game played and the preparation and boys attitude was at a top level appropriate for the Chapple cup. The batting was of a high standard with players reaching some milestones and set up defendable scores . Rotation of strike is something that can be improved on against spin and pace so the runs are continually ticking over even in the hard patches. Overall a fantastic start to the season and some positive signs leading into 2 day cricket.

Bowling was  good considering the games being played on batting friendly tracks. The lengths bowlers were bowling were good for one day cricket but will have to be worked on leading up to 2 day cricket to ensure consistency and bowling into the wicket to create more opportunities. The bowlers never stopped giving their all and bowled with energy and persistence in every game.

Biggest improvement needed is with fielding. Unfortunately because of the weather situation in HK the boys are a bit underdone in this area but as the weather gets better we will be able to train more intently in this part of the game. With extra training our attitude, anticipation and general movement in the field will be improved.  The call is catches win matches and it rings true with the losses we had.  

The team will need to engage more focus on getting through the hard parts of a competitive cricket match and owning the moment, not all parts of the game will go your way and we need to acknowledge the moments when extra focus is required. This can’t always be taught but will be learned  through experience of being in these situations often.

Overall very pleased and extremely proud of the effort from each member of the side including the management support. Special thanks to HKCA board for letting us have grass training in the bay with the T20 preseason tournament , the boys handled the conditions very well because of this.

HKCA vs Nelson - Game 1

Match Report:
Competition - Chapple Cup, Napier
HMC Horowhenua Kapiti v Nelson
Nelson won toss and chose to field.

HK 311/9 50 overs
M Good 138
D Sanson 39
R Subasinghe 33

Nelson 315/8 49 overs
D Sanson 2/56 off 8 overs
R Subasinghe 2/58 off 10 overs

Congratulations to Goody on an amazing century, his maiden in the Blue and Red. Set up the innings beautifully for the team to follow. Well supported by Dion with a 94 run partnership and Jamie with a 55 run partnership.

Be proud of your achievements today lads even though you didn't take the prize. 2 more days of Cricket to keep playing for each other and making the region proud. We are all behind you.

HKCA vs Wairarapa - Game 2 

Match Report:
Competition - Cave Cup, Napier
HMC Horowhenua Kapiti v Wairarapa

HK 276/9 50 overs
R McCone 65*
D Sanson 72
T Waduge 38
R Subasinghe 34

Wairarapa 118/10 32.3 overs
T Waduge 2/22 off 10 overs
R McCone 2/24 off 6 overs
D Kennett 2/25 off 7 overs
K Fahey 2/15 off 3.3 overs

Dion with a solid 72 well supported in a 50 run partnership with Tharaka which helped solidify the innings and put the boys back on track. Ryan in at 8 to help settle the team after a couple of quick wickets and when Dion departed he took the reigns and took the team to 50 overs with support from Jamie and Floyd to end the innings on 65*. Strong total to defend.

Wairarapa struggled chasing the strong total all out for 118 in the 34th over with wickets shared throughout the team and some strong comebacks from the guys who's figures didn't reflect their efforts yesterday.

You all picked yourselves up brilliantly today lads and played with pride and for each other. Dominant result that you can take into tomorrow playing for the Cave cup. Enjoy it, rest up and we will all be tuning in tomorrow at 10am to follow you lads into battle.


Horowhenua Kapiti v Marlborough - Game 3

Toss won by Marlborough who elected to bat

40 over game

Marlborough 223/6, 40 Overs M Ave 103*, M Stretch 42, BM Wheeler 34

R Subasinghe 2/42 off 8

T Waduge 1/31 off 8

R McCone 1/36 off 8

Horowhenua Kapiti 207/10, 38.2 overs

R McCone 50

R Subasinghe 27

F Na Nagara 25


Hawke Cup 2017/18 Match Reports

HMC HKCA Senior Bears Squad

  1. Tharaka Waduge - Kapiti Old Boys
  2. Dion Sanson - Levin Old Boys
  3. Jarrod Bowick - Levin Old Boys
  4. Ryan Taylor -Levin Old Boys
  5. Connor Belski -Kapiti Old Boys
  6. Kelsey Fahey -Paraparaumu
  7. Rory Lorimer - Paraparaumu
  8. Fraser Bartholomew - Levin Old Boys
  9. Daemon Kennett - Levin Old Boys
  10. Jamie Pinfold - Levin Old Boys
  11. Bailey Te Tomo - Levin Old Boys
  12. Matthew Good - Weraroa
  13. Liam Pinfold - Levin Old Boys
  14. Floyd Na Nagara - Loan
  15. Ryan McCone -Weraroa
  16. Whetu Na Nagara - Loan
  17. Kobe Monk - Levin Old Boys
  18. Ramesh Subasinghe (Coach/Player) Paraparaumu

Taranaki v Horowhenua Kapiti - Furlong Cup (Game 5)

Match Report

Horowhenua Kapiti v Taranaki– Furlong Cup

Pukekura Park

27/28 January

Horowhenua Kapiti 1st Innings

97/10 – 41.4 overs

J Pinfold 48

Taranaki won the toss and elected to bowl first on a slightly damp wicket at the picturesque Pukekura Park.  HK got off to the worst possible start with opener Waduge back in the shed 2nd over, number 3 Fahey in the 3rd over and Sanson in the 6th over. HK never recovered from this start and with some more poor shot selection this meant HK only manged 97 runs on a drying wicket aided by the sun baking it. Stand out was opener Jamie Pinfold with 48.

Taranaki 1st Innings

358/6 80.3 overs

F Bartholomew 2/62 off 14

It was always going to be hard work against a strong Taranaki batting line up.  At the end of the days play Taranaki batted well for 67 overs with 257 runs for 5. It was decent bowling effort from the boys on a slow flat wicket. Day 2 got delayed due to overnight dew by 30 min. When play started Taranaki was searching for quick runs and took the attack to a tiring HK bowling team and declared the innings on 358/6 with their number 4 James McDougall and number 7 Ryan Watson getting their maiden hundreds. Taranaki’s lead was 261.

Horowhenua Kapiti 2nd Innings

120/10 45.2 overs

T Waduge 41

J Pinfold 34

R Subasinghe 29


HK started the second innings aggressively but lost Jamie when score was 43 in the 3rd over. Fahey then got run out and HK lost Sanson to a dubious decision.  Good then found the only man on the boundary  and HK was staring down the barrel of an outright defeat at Lunch. First ball after lunch HK lost Wads who was batting well on 41 due to big mix-up in running  with Ryan Taylor, then 2 balls later Ryan was caught at slip off the left arm spinner. Loan player Na Nagara lost his wicket also to the left arm spinner then Kobe shouldered arms to be judge LBW. Subasinghe and Kennett tried to show some fight by batting for 20 overs, but HK lost Subasinghe just after drinks for 29. Unfortunately 2 overs later Kennett, who was defending very well finally misjudged an swinger and was judged LBW. HK all out for 120 in 45.2 overs.

With 2 runs outs and some poor shot selection, HK was not up to the task to save the game against a disciplined  Taranaki attack.








Horowhenua Kapiti v Wairarpa - Furlong Cup (Game 4)

Match Report

Horowhenua Kapiti v Wairarapa– Furlong Cup

Donnelly Park

13/14th January 

HK 1st Innings

185/10 – 55.4 overs

D Sanson 66

R Taylor 62

Wairarapa won the toss and invited HK to bat first on a green but very dry wicket at Donnelly Park. HK lost Waduge for 4 runs in the 3rd over and Jamie for 17 in the 5th over. This trend continued, and HK lost regular wickets to be struggling at 49 for 4. One of the partnerships  of the season saved HK from a collapse with Number 4 Sanson(66) and Number 6 Taylor(62) sharing an attractive 106 runs partnership on a difficult wicket. Both batsmen got hit number of times from rising balls off a length. Sanson  departed when the score was on 155/5, then Taylor at 180/6. Good was caught at deep square leg, Rory LBW, Floyd LBW in 3 successive balls to give Daniel Ingam a hat-trick which stopped any chances of HK posting over 200. HK eventually got bowled out for 185.


Wairarapa 1st Innings


R Subasinghe 4/43 off 13

R McCone 3/6 off 8

Daemon and Ryan McCone started extremely well to have Wairarapa reeling at 26/4, Wairarapa lost wickets in regular intervals and held out until the end days play with an unbeaten 28runs partnership for the 10th wicket  leaving them 148/9. HK then received the news that opening bowler Ryan McCone been called up to the Central Stag’s squad. Luckily HK was allowed a playing replacement. HK selectors called up off spinner Jimmy Singh of Paraparaumu Cricket Club to make his debut for HK replacing McCone.  Captain Subasinghe handed the ball to Jimmy Singh to bowl the first over of the second day and with his very first ball for HK Jimmy dismissed the number XI batsman to achieve first innings points for HK.

Horowhenua Kapiti 2nd Innings

79/10 off 24 overs

Second inning started with Jamie Pinfold getting hit in the 3rd over by a ball that took off from a length. The opener lost his wicket the very next ball. HK then lost wickets at regular intervals to be bowled out inside 25 overs for disappointing 79 runs leaving Wairarapa to chase 115 runs for victory. Wairarapa bowler Stefan Hook bowled the spell of his life by claiming 7 for 34 runs extracting very disconcerting bounce from the surface cracks to put HK batters in real strife.

Wairarapa 2nd innings

117/4 off 30.3 overs

J Singh 2/49 off 8.3 Overs

Wairarapa then chased down the target 4 wickets down in the 31st over to claim excellent comeback outright win. Difficult  pitch and fragile mentality from HK batters contributed  to this disappointing loss.










Horowhenua Kapiti v Wanaganui - Furlong Cup (Game 3)







Victoria Park

16th - 17th December 2017

Toss won by Horowhenua – elected to Bat


HK 1st Innings 175/10 – 54.3

R McCone 49

A tough start to the game with HK at one point 7 down for 80. A 64 run partnership between Kobe Monk 28, and Ryan McCone 49 offered some resistance and helped HK through to 175.

Wanganui 1st Innings

235/10 - 57.2

F Bartholemew 3/54 off 12

R Subasinghe 3/66 off 18.3

First innings points went to Wanganui as they reached 176 with 7 down. Horowhenua came back over night and finished off the tail with Wanganui finishing on 235. A 60 run lead that would need to be knocked off quickly by Horowhenua if they were to push for the win. 

Horowhenua Kapiti 2nd Innings

334/7 dec off 47 overs

T Waduge 117, R Taylor 69 ,R Subasinghe 46,R McCone 44*

Horowhenua were looking to be aggressive in chasing down the lead and posting a total to put pressure on Wanganui. The innings was teetering when HK were 89-4 in the 11th over but Tharaka was still at the crease playing positive cricket and HK had a lead. He was joined by Ryan Taylor where they enjoyed an attacking partnership of 140 before Tharaka departed with his Maiden HK century on 117 from 108 balls. Tharaka’s century and the partnership with Ryan 69 from 70 balls, set Horowhenua up for the lower order to play freely with skipper Ram scoring 46 from 27 balls and Ryan McCone 44 from 35. Horowhenua declared at 334/7 in the 47th over with an amazing run rate of 7 an over. The lead was 274.

Wanganui 2nd Innings

128/10 48.1 overs R McCone 4/6 off 5,C Beleski 2/6 off 6, T Waduge 2/23 off 5.1, D Sanson 2/58 off 20.

Wanganui looked as though they wanted to push for an outright win but this was put to bed by some great Horowhenua bowling. Ryan McCone ripped through 4 of Wanganui’s top 5 batsman to end with outstanding figures of 4 for 6. Dion Sanson held up an end for 20 overs straight keeping the Wanganui batsman at bay with 2/58, a marathon effort. The other wickets were shared by Conor Belski with great figures from his 6 overs of 2/6 and the 2nd innings century maker Tharaka who finished with 2/23 from 5.1, removing the stubborn wanganui tail enders defiant stand by taking a wicket with the first ball of a new spell sealing an outstanding victory by the Horowhenua-Kapiti Side. This was the first outright victory for HK in 4 seasons.




Horowhenua Kapiti v Hawkes Bay– Furlong Cup (Game 2)

Donnelly Park

18th-19th November 2017


Toss won by Hawkes bay – elected to Bowl

HK 1st Innings

177/10 – 45.5 overs T Waduge 46 , J Pinfold 46

A couple of starts within the innings but the HK lads struggled to find the shots and the patience to compile a larger innings.

Stand outs were Wads with 46 and Jamie also with 46.

HB 1st Innings

369/5 dec off 58.2

F Bartholemew 2/74 off 11

Once the first inning points were secured by Hawkes bay they started to lift the run rate and added a decent lead. Two Hawkes bay batsman bringing up centuries and a tough afternoon/early evening for the HK Boys.

Horowhenua Kapiti 2nd Innings

92/10 off 43 overs

Hawkes bay declared over night with a lead of 192. HK had 110 overs to bat to be able to chase down the deficit and bat deep into the overs. Hawkes bay were hungry for the outright and bowled with discipline and patience to claim the result after 43 overs with HK all out for 95.

Not a great result for the season’s first match on Donnelly’s newly laid block which played very well. The ground was in great condition and I’m sure the boys are looking forward to playing back there in January vs Wairarapa. Next up is Wanganui in Wanganui on 16th December.















Horowhenua Kapiti v Manawatu – Furlong Cup (Game 1)

Manawaroa Park

11th-12th November 2017

Toss won by HK – elected to bat


HK 1st Innings- 195/10 – 65.5 overs

J Pinfold 55

R Subasinghe 44

K Fahey 43

Kelsey Fahey with 43 coming in at number 3 steadying the innings with Jamie Pinfold at 5 for a 43 run partnership before Kelsey departed. Jamie continued and made his half century before being out caught for 55.

Ramesh Subasinghe and Bailey Te Tomo batted through lunch for a 47 run partnership absorbing a lot of balls to keep Manawatu in the field. Ram ended out LBW for 44 and the lower order spent a gutsy 8 overs keeping Manawatu searching for their final wickets. Shot selection at certain times hampered HK’s chance to build a larger total.

Manawatu 1st Innings

308/8 dec off 74 overs- F Bartholemew 3/67 off 15, C Beleski 2/91 off 25, R Subasinghe 2/58 off 15

Welcome return for Fraser Bartholemew who has worked hard to come back from surgery to be playing senior Representative cricket again. Fraser finished with figures of 3 for 67 off 15 overs on a track that didn’t give too much assistance to bowlers. Conor Beleski bowled 25 overs for his 2/91 and has his captains praises for the maturity shown in his approach. Ram also picked up a couple of wickets for 58 off 14.

Manawatu’s took the first innings points on Sunday and added a lead of 113 for HK to set about batting for the rest of the day to earn some points for a draw.

Horowhenua Kapiti 2nd Innings

193/4 off 64 overs - D Sanson 79 K Fahey 53 J Pinfold 32*

The task for HK’s second innings was to chase down the deficit and bat long into the 78 overs left in the day. 

After losing both Openers early in the innings, Kelsey Fahey and Dion Sanson built a strong platform for HK and patiently eliminated Manawatu’s lead. Dion and Kelsey had a partnership of 126 and batted for 39 overs which set the tone for the incoming batsmen once Kelsey departed for a hard grafted 53 from 136 balls. After losing Dion shortly after for 79 from 125 balls, With Jamie Pinfold and Rory Lorimer at the crease they steadied the innings and fought through until time for a partnership of 44 off 16 overs, Jamie ending on 32 not out from 43 balls and debutant Rory Lorimer 13* from 53.

HKCA's Senior Men's 2016/17 Hawke Cup Campaign Match Reports 

HMC Horowhenua Kapiti Vs Hawks Bay Hawke Cup - Game 1

HKCA travelled to Napier this weekend to take on Chapple Cup winners Hawks Bay. Captain Matthew Good led a very young but talented squad of players in the hope of causing a major upset.

Day 1

Captain Good won his 4th toss in a row as skipper and opted to bowl with a tinge of green on the wicket but knowing if early wickets didn't come, HK were going to be in the field of a long time with the hosts star studded batting line. Unfortunately HK's bowlers didn't build any sort of pressure with boundary's flowing regularly due to some ill-disciplined bowling and couldn't find a break through. Both Hawks Bay openers brought up half centuries within the first 20 overs of the match and had very healthy run rate of over 6 runs per over.

HK had stem the flow of runs and decided to play the patience game bowling outside off stump with a good field. They managed to bring the run rate down and Daemon Kennett was rewarded for his hard work by claiming his and HK's first wicket. That was a rare positive in the field as Hawks Bay kept coming after the young HK attack. Some sloppy fielding didn't help the cause with a couple of drop catches allowing Hawks Bay's Smith, to complete is century. Hawks Bay declare on 375-3 with all the top 4 passing 50. HK were sent in with 3 hours of the day left. HK lost Bowick (12) and debutant Brent Stevens (0) to leave HK 30-2 but a fantastic partnership between Good (45) and Trent playing his first Hawke Cup game helped restore some belief back into the boys to take the score to 102-2. Good departed after working so hard by gently chipping the ball to mid wicket which started an all too familiar scenario. HK slumped from 102-2 to 130-9 at the end of play with Trent 41* over night. 4 ducks had contributed to HK's demise.

Day 2

The plan was for HK to bat as long as they could 9 down and then bat all day to save the game from losing outright. In only the second over of the day, Bartholemew (0) hit a return catch to the impressive leg spinner Pretorius who claimed 6 wickets in the innings. HK were all out for 134 with Trent 44*.

HK were asked to bat again, and like the day before, lost regular wickets with Good (11), J. Pinfold (0), Bowick (11), Stevens (0), Subasinghe (0) and Mathius (0) all back in the shed before 50 was on the board. Trent McGrath continued from where he had left off and punished anything short whilst remaining calm despite the lack of support. He brought up his 50 with a trademark cut shot and was a fantastic knock considering the circumstances. HK found themselves 92-8 with Trent still at the crease and running out of partners. Kennett came to the crease and did a fine job in blocking an end up while Trent took the attack to the Hawks Bay bowlers. Just at he was getting close to a century, Kennett was out leaving last man Bartholemew to help Trent get to that magical three figures. Trent then hit 3 sixes in 4 balls, one a huge pull shot in front of square off Stag, Leopard to take him into the 90's. Bartholemew decided he wanted a piece of the action with a towering six of his own. Trent then picked up a single to complete a superb 100 with every person on the ground, including the opposition, applauding a fantastic knock. HK were all out for 178, losing by an innings and 63 runs. Trent finished the match scoring a staggering 142 runs without being dismissed while 5 of HK's players bagged a pair!

HK have plenty to work on but if they can show the fighting spirit Trent did throughout the game they won't be far off competing against these big teams.

Next up Taranaki in Levin, 25th/26th November.



HMC Horrowhenua Kapiti vs Taranaki - Game 2


The second Hawke Cup game of the season saw HK play host to Taranaki. Taranaki were boosted with the return of Central District stars Tom Bruce and captain Will Young to add to an already formidable Taranaki batting line up. HK had one change with Ben Strang coming in for the injured Carter Andrews.

Captain Good lost the toss and was asked to bat in very bowler friendly conditions. With the pitch being under covers all week due to the rotten Levin weather, HK new they were in for a tough opening morning.

With the ball swinging and nipping around, the Taranaki bowlers soon found the break through with Captain Good (6) questionably adjudged LBW and Ben Strang (4) told he had been caught despite the initial shout being for LBW. HK needed some luck and everything in the morning session just seemed to go against them and HK found themselves 24-5.

A recovery took place in the form of Pinfold and Stevens who batted fantastically well considering the conditions. They shared a 80 run partnership before Pinfold was bizarrely run out from a direct hit for 23. Stevens played some sumptuous on drives to take his score to 43 before getting one that popped on him to be caught at mid on. Player/Coach Subasighe made a hard fought 21 but HK were all out for 114.

Despite the low total, HK were encouraged with what they saw from the pitch they knew if they could get the ball in the right area, they could cause a few problems for the visitors. Liam Pinfold and Deamon Kennett opened up and bowled with pace and accuracy and it was Pinfold who produced an unplayable ball to remove the opener. The ball shaping away towards the slips before seaming back in to flick the top of off stump. Kennett bowled superbly, beating the bat on several occasion before producing a gem of his own to have CD batsmen D.Robinson caught behind. Enter Young and Bruce, fresh off first class responsibilities, aiming to knock off the required runs for first innings points. They didn't have it all there own way though and Subasinghe joined in the bowler friendly conditions and had some very very close LBW decisions turned down much to HK's frustration. Subasinghe eventually got his man Will Young, a smart catch from Bowick and entered Frazer Bartholomew who bowled another gem to remove captain McDougall who's off stump was flattened. The rain came with the score 106-4 and that was the end of the day.

Day 2

The entire morning session was written off due to weather but they eventually got back out there and Tarnaki knocked off the required runs and sent HK back into bat. HK were bowled out for 64. An immensely disappointing session with only Stevens and Subasinghe making double figures. Taranaki required 64 to win from 16 overs but HK nearly snatched the unlikeliest of victories.

Youngsters Pinfold and Bartholomew opened the bowling and it was Bartholomew who struck first with his third ball having the opener caught at slip thanks to a brilliant reaction catch from Captain Good. Will Young was next to go, Bartholomew who was bowling with real heart had the CD skipper LBW and in the very next over he had the dangerous Bruce out in the same fashion. Bartholomew visibly pumped up gave HK a sniff and the boys responded, fielding extremely well with the boys all over the batters on what was now an extremely tough batting surface.

Pinfold then removed the rock Robinson with a beauty that bowled him middle stump for 5. Both young openers were pulling the rest of the HK boys with them and they all fed on the positive energy these boys were giving off. Pinfold then had the skipper caught behind in his next over and with his very next delivery uprooted middle stump to leave Taranaki 29-6. Despite being behind for so much of the game, HK now believed they could win.

Bartholomew then claimed a memorable 5 wicket bag with 2 further wickets and with Taranaki 47-8 the game was now in the balance. Muggeridge eventually saw his side home with a calm 24 not out to give Taranaki an outright victory.

Bartholomew and Pinfold nearly delivered what would have been the biggest victory in HK's recent history with some fantastic bowling. Congratulations on your first of many 5 wicket hauls Frazer.

Special thanks has to go to groundsman Evan Hicks who worked tirelessly through the rain to get the game on. Without his dedication and efforts the game wouldn't have gone ahead so thank you.

The boys need to continue working on posting a batting total to give the bowlers something to play with but over the two games we have had plenty of positives to take away and it is only a matter of time before it will all click together on match day.



HMC Horowhenua-Kapiti Vs Manawatu - Game 3 (December 3&4th 2016)

The HMC HCKA seniors lost their Hawke cup match against Manawatu by 10 wickets on Sunday. HK won the toss and batted first at Weraroa Domain in Levin. HK couldn’t capitalised on a very good batting wicket and got bowled out for 90 in 38.2 overs against a steady Manawatu bowling line up. Jamie Pinfold top scored with 20 Manawatu’s T Richards with his slow medium pace did the damage by taking 5/18 and Navin Patel supported him well with 4/37.

In reply Manawatu got off to a shaky start losing 3 wickets for 20 runs and then lost their 4th when the score was on 51 then H Collier and S Davidson steadied the innings a bit but Collier was dismissed by Impressive Belseki for 24.S Davidson then took the game away from HK with a superb counter attacking innings and finished with 101* before Manawatu declared their Innings at 210/6 (57.1 overs). HK’S Connor Beleski was impressive with the ball taking 2 for 49 in 21.1 overs.  Ben Strang and Matt Good started the second innings well and batted through to the end of days play HK 45/0.

Persistent rain delayed the start of second day and there was no play till lunch, Weather cleared around 1pm but there were some wet areas on the outfield. Play finally resumed at 3.15pm with 73 overs left in the game. There was no possibility for HK to push for a win with still 65 runs behind and only limited overs left.

HK lost the first wicket at 57 Ben Strang dismissed for 33 and then Good departed for 27 when the score was at 75, then HK trying to play out for a draw lost wickets regularly and eventually got bowled out for 126 in 62 overs leaving Manawatu to score mere 7 runs to win. Manawatu won the game in the 2nd over by 10 wickets. It was another disappointing batting performance from HK, lack of application and poor shot selection was the main downfall. If HK managed to bat for another 10 overs they could have drawn the game.

Please click below for the scorecard.



HMC Horowhena Kapiti Vs Wiararapa - Game 4

HK’s first game in 2017 was a trip away to Masterton where they hoped they would repeat what they did there 2 years previous and walk away with a famous outright victory. HK were boosted with Stag Ryan McCone returning but with Keeper Stevens and opener Strang away, Dave O’Brien made his first appearance of the season and 16 year old Bailey Te Tomo made his first appearance for the first team having come through the HK junior system.

Rapa won the toss on a greenish pitch but HK were quite happy with the outcome as they would have batted. HK lost opener Good (4) in the second over of the day offering no shot to be adjudged LBW while Simonsen looked compact and assured in his new role at the top of the order. Bowick (3) came in a received a few real good short balls before one climbed on him to offer a simple catch to square leg. HK were 20-2 but Trent and Simonsen dug deep and began to build a nice little partnership. Trent was looking back to his fluent best and raced to 38 before getting a top edge to be caught an bowled. J.Pinfold, who has looked a million dollars all season, came to the wicket hoping to make a significant contribution started off by driving the ball to the extra cover fence with minimum effort. Simonsen the rock was eventually stumped for 30 by a brilliant bit of wicketkeeping down the leg side. Pinfold and McCone began to rebuild the innings and it was the Stag McCone who took the back seat and let Pinfold carry on his positive approach. Everything he hit just seemed to hit the middle of the bat and it was looking his day when he reached a chanceless 50 at better than a run a ball.

McCone was very poorly given out LBW as he crunched a ball into his pad and it seemed that the only man on the field that thought it was out was the only man that mattered, the umpire, and he had to go for 20. Te Tomo entered for his first taste of Hawke Cup cricket and didn’t looked fazed at all and started very well. However, a tight single from Bailey saw Pinfold run out for a brilliant 75 (his highest for the region). Bailey showed maturity despite his years though and tried to dig in for the team and made 25 before being bowled round his legs. A very assured start from the youngster.

The experience of Subasinghe and O’Brien were at the wicket and HK were 200-7. O’Brien, playing his first game for the bears in well over a year, started positively stroking some beautiful boundaries before departing for 18. L.Pinfold came and went for 8 and Frazer soon followed to leave Ramesh 17* and gave HK a first innings total of 266.

McCone opened the bowling and had immediate success having their opener bowled first ball. McCone continued to look threatening and had a sharp chance dropped in the gully. Rapa’s number 3 came to the wicket and played very well but it was the fellow opener who continued to frustrate HK. Good length balls were going for boundaries as well as some big swing and misses which left HK scratching their heads. Ramesh soon got in on the act though with a ball that seamed back in to send the opener back to the hutch for a quick 40. The day played out and Rapa were 50-2 with the game in the balance.

With the pitch pretty flat HK were in for a tough day and had little reward despite some very good pressure. The HK attack bowled the ball in good areas and did not give away too many runs in the process. Golden arm Frazer struck with his first ball to leave Rapa 70-3 but after that HK didn’t have much success in the next 2 and a bit hours. Rapa clawed their way to the first innings total HK set with the fluent number 3 bringing up a well crafted half ton. However the game turned suddenly on its head in the space of 3 overs. Rapa 200-3 quickly went to 215 for 7. Te Tomo took a screamer at mid on off the bowling of Trent to start the mini wobble, diving full length to his right and then Trent claimed another 2 with his slow left arm orthodox before Frazer got another LBW. Lunch arrived and after the break Rapa came back out full of intent. However a top edge off Trent just couldn’t be held onto by a diving Liam Pinfold and Rapa were not going to die wondering and took the game to HK. The man dropped made 78 in quick time and Rapa took first innings before HK bowled them out for 338.

With still 70 overs to play Rapa wanted an outright and HK had to bat the rest of the day out. Captain Good started positively latching onto anything loose before being the first man out for 60. He and Simonsen put on 80 for the first wicket to wipe the Rapa lead away. HK then lost wickets regularly and were 120-5 with Good, Bowick, Simonsen, MCone and Pinfold all back in the tent. But again Bailey and Trent settled the ship with patient knock’s but HK lost them both and the game was alive again. But the experience of O’Brien, who looked in good touch, and Subasinghe made sure HK were not going to lose outright and the game ended with some hand shakes with HK 190-7 with the Rapa taking first innings points.

It was great to see so many positive batting displays having had a tough start to the Hawke Cup season so HK have a lot to be positive about going forward. On a pretty flat deck the bowlers toiled hard and it’s a great learning experience for some of the young guys on how to bowl on those sorts of wickets. Lessons learnt throughout the weekend and again signs of improvement from this young rep side.


HMC Horowhenua Kapiti Vs Wanganui - Game 5

HK welcomed local neighbors Wanganui to Levin for their final Hawke Cup game on a rare hot day. Captain Good yet again won the toss and elected to bat but things didn't go so well for the skipper has he nicked one behind defending in the very first over of the game to depart for a duck. Andre 'Dre' Halbert playing his first game of the season for the Bears started well by confidently dispatching the ball to the cover boundary. But he suffered the same fate as Good and was next to go for 7, nicking one behind off an attempted pull shot. When Trent was dismissed for a duck, HK were 23-3 and in a spot of trouble. Simonsen who has looked in terrific touch the last few games was again digging deep for his team, but on 23 he was out, nicking one to first slip.

Jamie Pinfold, fresh off the back of his highest rep score in the previous game, started positively but had a slice of luck on 10 when a regulation chance when down in the slips. Pinfold looked like he was going to make the opposition pay for their costly mistake, but on 39 he was also back in the tent. Ben Strang, looked compact and positive before being harshly adjudged LBW for 27.

Bailey Te Tomo entered and again despite his age, played as though he had been playing at this level all his life. Waiting for the bad ball and punishing it with such elegance it was a pleasure to watch. The future looks very bright for this young, level headed cricketer. He played beautifully for his 49 and was the last man out and HK were all out for 180.

HK started brightly with the ball and Carter Andrews, who has missed most of the season with injury, showed his skill by getting the ball to swing both ways and built up maiden after maiden from his end. But it was HK's leading wicket taker, Bartholomew who grabbed HK's first, bowling the opener offering no shot. HK's bowlers bowled superbly as a unit, offering no loose balls and asking the batsmen some serious questions. Subasinghe cleaned bowled captain Smith with a peach, to claim his first and both Pinfold and Andrews had struck to pick up their first wickets of the match.

Late in the day the leg spinner Strang, was thrown the ball and produced 2 gems to leave Wanganui 92-8 and HK were delighted of how they had clawed their way back into the game and now found themselves in a winning position.

Day 2.

HK needed 2 wickets for a first innings win and picked the first up caught by Good at first slip off Subasinghe. 128-9 Wanganui pushed hard and despite some excellent HK bowling, the fielding wasn't up to scratch. Good dropping a chance at slip and Subasinghe bowling the number 11 off a no ball didn't help and Wanganui crept towards the required first innings total. CHANCE! On 179-9, Subasinghe produced a gem to find a nick, only for the replacement keeper J.Pinfold to put down a sharp diving chance. Chance gone and HK eventually bowled Wanganui out for 242.

HK lost opener Good (2) strangled down the leg side to be caught one handed by the keeper to the delight of the visitors. And it then got even worse for HK. Only J.Pinfold (27), Trent (17) and Strang (10, who was again harshly given out LBW) made double figures and HK were all out for 95. The boys were immensely disappointed with what had just occurred over the last few hours and Wanganui knocked the required runs off to give them an outright victory.

Throught the year the boys have shown patches of their potential as a team and as individuals but unfortunately have not sustained that for 2 full days and that is where they came up short again in the game. Some of the boys are itching to rectify some of the mistakes they made this campaign, next season.

"We would like to thank our supporters, volunteers and sponsors for everything they have done this year for our Senior Men's side. We are all very sorry we haven't been able to repay our gratitude with some wins on the board, but me and the boys are working and will continue to work as hard as we ever have to make you proud of this talented HK squad. Thanks for your support throughout the season. Goody'.

Chapple Cup 2016/17

HMC Horowhenua Kapiti Vs Nelson - Round 1

Horowhenua Kapiti came into their first round match with Nelson as underdogs but with months of preseason training, strength and conditioning and 1-1 coaching with new HK High Performance Coach Ramesh Subasinghe, they smelt an upset. HK’s new skipper, Englishman Matthew Good won the toss and decided to have a bowl on what was a very green pitch for Napier. That decision would have been the perfect start for the new skipper and HK, as from the very first ball, Central Districts new opening bowler Ryan McCone, found the edge but the catch was put down at 3rd slip. Ryan did show his skill and pace with the new ball claiming HK’s first wicket, a vicious bouncer which struck the batsmen flush on the helmet before sending him dazed to the ground flattering his own stumps.


HK didn’t have it all their own way though, despite the ball swinging and seaming throughout the Nelson innings, chance after chance went down. Nelson were 90-5 and looked in trouble with all 3 Central District players, Hay, Clarkson and skipper Kain, back in the tent but it could have been much worse for the 2nd ranked side at this year’s tournament. A counter attack by Nelson and some poor bowling, saw them score quickly but with the score on 180-8, HK still fancied their chances. However, Nelson’s 9 and 10 had other ideas and put on an unbroken 85 run partnership in 10 overs which really knocked the stuffing out of HK. Nelson had reached 245-8 but their top scorer was HK’s extras. 56 of them. Dropped chances, front foot no balls and 30 wides made HK’s chance of progressing to the next round very daunting on a swinging, seaming pitch. McCone bowled exceptionally well on his HK debut with figures of 10-0-24-2 and Matthew Bacon bowled without luck with figures 10-1-40-1. Trent McGrath also delivered a very tidy spell of 9-0-37-0.


HK got off to a solid start considering the conditions to reach 24 without loss within 6 overs. However, a huge turning point in the match swung the game in Nelsons favour in the 7th over. First opener Ben Strang, returning to the HK ranks after 5 years away due to wok commitments, was caught off a top edge for 12 and then skipper Good departed for a duck. A bouncer caught Good by surprise but looked to have played it well enough lowering his hands at the last minute and with the ball just clipping his helmet had done well to get his head out of the way too. A loud and confident appeal from Nelson was turned down originally before confusion set in as the umpires got together and adjudged captain Good to be out. A horrible decision but one that was not going to be over turned had just changed HK’s bright start into one that descended into panic and which was riddled with mistakes. The only batsmen to make any impression on the Nelson attack was McGrath who made a bright 33. HK were all out for 117 inside 27 overs.

HK lost their opening game by 128 runs which was very disappointing as they had shown glimpses of what they could do but lacked that consistency. 56 extras and 7 dropped catches in the field cost them and with the bat, 2 run outs as well as 3 or 4 terrible shots under the circumstances lead to HK’s demise. A game that had promised so much leading up to the fixture had led to an all too familiar feeling. Plenty of positives but lots to reflect on as individuals and as a team.

Horowhenua Kapiti Vs Wairarapa - Round 2

Horowhenua Kapiti were looking to bounce back after their first day defeat at the hands of Nelson against a much improved Wairarapa side who had CD players Seth Rance and Jesse Ryder in their ranks. Captain Good won his second toss in a row and elected to bat on what looked like a brilliant batting wicket, a complete contrast to the day before. HK were a changed team with Bacon and Fowler out, leaving Conor Beleski and Cater Andrews to make their first appearance of the tournament.

Things got off to a bad start with Strang caught down at fine leg from a quick bumper from Rance and Good soon followed having his off stump ripped out of the ground by a peach from Rance. Pinfold asked to open in this game in the place of injured Simonsen who was put down the order, played without fear as he pulled Wairarapa quick, Hook-Sporry, for a huge six. Pinfold departed for a quick 31 but HK lost wickets regularly. With the score 118-9 Liam Pinfold and Cater Andrews decided to take the game to the opposition. Pinfold in particular showed what an exciting talent he is by hitting some of the cleanest cricket shots of the match. He and Andrews put on 40 before Pinfold departed for 27 off just 15 balls! HK had some momentum put were still well under par. They needed quick wickets if they were going to stand any chance of playing for the Cave Cup the following day.

MaCone and Andrews opened up with new ball and bowled exceptionally well as a pair. A couple of quick wickets by MaCone had left Wairarapa 23-2 after 10 overs and the game was in the balance. However, a heavy rain delay a few overs later took the players off the field for almost three and a half hours which meant the score was recalculated to 118 off 34 overs, but more alarming was that MaCone was now bowled out. HK took a further wicket after the break but in came Blackcap’s Jesse Ryder. From his very first ball he made his intentions clear by timing a square drive to the point boundary. Skipper Good handed the ball to King, bowling his first over of the tournament and started well by having danger man Ryder caught in the deep with a fantastic catch taken by young Pinfold down at fine leg. With the score 71-4 a little window was opened for HK to maybe snatch victory. HK turned to spinners Trent and Connor to bowl in the middle overs and both bowled exceptionally well considering the ball was now almost like a bar of soap it was that wet. Unfortunately neither could prevent Wairarapa winning by 5 wickets but HK gave them a little fright long the way.

A much better effort with the ball and in the field from the day before but still question marks over the batting. If HK could get a competitive score on the board they would fancy themselves against anyone with the bowling line up the possessed.

Horowhenua Kapiti Vs Wanganui - Round 3

HK entered their final game of the tournament aiming to salvage some pride from the weekend with a final day win. Wanganui throughout the tournament had scored in excess of 250 in their previous two encounters and with Central Districts opener Ben Smith in their ranks, HK new they had to put a competitive score on the board, something they had failed to do in their two earlier games. Back in came Fowler and Bacon with player/coach Subasinghe (injured) and Beleski (university commitments) the men missing out.

Captain Good won is 3rd toss of the tournament and elected to bat. Pinfold looked to carry on his aggressive approach from the day before but was caught for a run a ball 14 with the score on 22.  Good and Strang batting together for the first time in the tournament, put on 50 in quick time before Strang fell for 28. Enter ex skipper, Matt Fowler. He and Good continued to built on the good platform the top order had set and ticked a long at a risk free 5 run runs an over. Captain Good brought up HK’s first 50 of the tournament off 57 balls before a rush of blood saw him out LBW sweeping for exactly 50. HK lost some momentum for a while losing another wicket and the run rate began to dip. Fowler knew he had to be the man to bat through and Ryan MaCone used all his experience and took the pressure off by playing a fantastic little knock of a run a ball 29. Fowler brought up in his 50 off 77 balls and had played the situation perfectly. Bacon then joined Fowler with 9 overs to go and ran the Wanganui field into the ground. The duo added 90 runs in the last 9 overs with some fantastic running between the wickets and some brutal hitting from both men. Fowler ended on a very classy 90* off 102 balls and Bacon an aggressive 45* off just 26 balls. HK finished on 284-6 and had finally put together a brilliant batting display.

Ryan MaCone and Matthew Bacon shared the new ball again and bowled with great pace and control. MaCone grabbed the first wicket and both had countless play and misses with the ball moving around. As long as Wanganui had the dangerous Smith at the crease, who hit 96 the day before, they stood a chance. 17 year old Liam Pinfold came on first change and had immediate success when Smith, tied down by the opening bowlers, tried to release some pressure but only managed to nick the ball to Good at first slip.  HK picked up wickets regularly with Ben Strang, bowling his first overs of the tournament, showing his skill and control as a leg spinner by producing a very good spell 10-0-51-2. All the bowlers chipped in with wickets with and in the end dismissed Wanganui for 186 to claim a 99 run win.

A fantastic win on the final day but a tinge of disappointment that HK could not replicate that performance a couple of days earlier. The boys learnt a hell of a lot from the weekend and now the preparation moves to Hawk Cup in 3 weeks time where HK travel back to Napier to play Hawks Bay.